1) Ethereal, meaning unreal and delicate mist.
Equine vertigo saying that horses aren’t afraid of heights.
Serenely, an immensely calming view.
Bleached brown boulders, bleached by the water, sun or bird feces.
Doctored, meaning the water bottle was modified to keep the mobile phone safe from the weather.
Trauma referring to the stress of crossing the river.
2) There is no meat and the food is modern for the area.
3) It seemed to be possible that a tiger could make the leap from one side of the gorge to the other.
4) The water’s current is too strong for the boat to go upstream.
5) “This morning an ethereal mist lingers over the mountains” I chose this one because the mist is always calming. Next, I chose “It’s a serenely calming view” because the writer says how calming the view is.
“I’m most concerned about the horses but they’re a lot more sure-footed than I am” that’s how sketchy the trail is over the mountains. “Then we’re descending fast on steep and potentially lethal tracks of crumbling chalky rock past rhododendron bushes.” the writer says how unstable the rocks are that they are walking on.
1) The quality of the accommodation was that of a farm animal’s “pen”
causing the residents to get just as ill as the animals on a farm would.
2) “Rough billows” meaning the large rough waves that would crash into the
3) The song that was sung is sad and regretful, relevant to the current
4) I chose “cloudless”, meaning the sky is “cloudless”, compared to the
previous night. Next, I chose “fair”, meaning that the wind wasn’t as hectic
as the wind from the day before. And lastly, I chose “companionable” for the
sails that were calm and still.
5) Firstly there is a difference in weather and their direct circumstances with
phrases like “The wind hauled ahead” and “Violent phases of change”.
Both these phrases show how dire and desperate their circumstances are.
Whereas the phrases “A new world indeed” and “Highest possible spirits”
creates a completely opposite atmosphere in the second part of the passage.
In the people, the desperation is created by the phrases “Scarcely human
noises of the sick joined into a kind of farmyard chorus” and
“Discomfortable thoughts and sensations”. A peaceful and relaxed atmosphere
in the second part is illustrated with phrases like “Stories and laughter
went around” and “His reels and jigs and ballads”.
6) I chose “the steamer”, “foeter” and “hame”. “The steamer” because we
don’t use steamers in the modern world. The only steamers that you will see
nowadays, are in museums and at the bottom of the sea. Next, I chose “hame”
and “foeter” because they are so old they must be from old English which is
more than a hundred years deadish.
1) Explorers with the same mentality from the “age of adventure” find modern travel unattractive.
Escapism is seen as weakness and lack of confidence to take on reality.
2) Science and technology have taken the fun out of travel by making it too predictable.
3) Slow travel is healing and restorative because it’s slower than reality.
4) During the “age of adventure,” isolation was inevitable.
In modern travel, we isolate ourselves purposefully.
5) Science and technology have connected all of us so being able to escape that reality from time to time is healthy.
Traveling alone you learn about yourself which is good.
6) Because you don’t get to see anything of where you go in such a short period of time.
7) Trusting the people you encounter will help with ease of travel.
8) Campsites don’t have suitable grazing areas or water sources for animals.
9) It’s not necessary thanks to sign language and sounds and even body language.
10) Hey, cuz I heard you were going to travel a bit before university so I thought I would give you a few pointers.
Look for a fairly isolated area where hand so as to understand the religion and respect it.
Don’t over plan your trip it won’t have that sense of adventure then. Just pack the bare necessities such as a sleeping bag, small stove and a small tent.
To make your journey, even more, fun walk or cycle wherever you go.
An added bonus of being self-propelled is that it is much cheaper than renting a vehicle and good for your body and environment.
And please don’t take any form of connection with the rest of the world with you like your mobile phone laptop anything!!!
Don’t worry about learning the local language sign language and basic sounds can take you a long way.
Please be wary of your surroundings and possible dangers and threats.
And last but definitely not least DONT FORGET TO TAKE YOUR COMPASS!
Now go and have fun…
Kind regards from your cousin.